Friday, October 14, 2005

Peter Pan by JM Barrie

I wanted someone to bar the window for me. Just like what Peter had done for Wendy. I wanted someone to hold me back from going.

"You won't forget me, Peter, will you?"

Peter has always been forgetful. He treats every thing as a trivial matter. Or maybe that's just the way he really is. Maybe that's the way how the child in us is. We easily forego something that we have, sad to say, for something that is beyond our reach.

So childish.

So human.

But it also could mean positive. Because the child in us always, always anticipates something good coming. Something brighter. Although not everything that comes is happy and gay.

The book speaks of reality: of adventure, joys, sorrows, love and death. Of life.

_______

"Why can't you fly now, mother?"

"Because I am grown up, dearest. When people grow up they forget the way."

"Why do they forget the way?"

"Because they are no longer gay and innocent and heartless. It is only the gay and innocent and heartless who can fly."

"What is gay and innocent and heartless? I do wish I were gay and innocent and heartless."

_______

"He does so need a mother," Jane said.

"Yes, I know," Wendy admitted rather forlornly; "No one knows it so well as I."

How sad. How ironic. You can't seem to do anything about it--the reality I mean.

The Peters in us will forever be so long as children are gay and innocent and heartless.
_______


I wanted someone to bar the window for me. Just like what Peter had done for Wendy. I wanted someone to hold me back from going.

And now I do have that someone :)

No comments: