Sunday, July 23, 2006

inspired

last night i helped out my cousin who's a member of the autism society of the philippines. they held a film showing at the up film institute in diliman. i was overwhelmed by the number of people who came to support. it was hell at the front of house where i busily accommodated people who wanted to become members and those who renewed their membership. i got the chance to take a peek inside the auditorium. watching parents' stories about their experiences with their children who have autism made my eyes swell. buti i was able to get hold of myself. man, it was very touching and inspiring!!! i'd like to quote (well, semi-quote because this isn't exactly what he said) gabby atienza, a high functioning pwa (person with autism):

"... I have had my share of sorrows, and I have had my share of recoveries. I have experienced despair, but not to the point that I'd commit suicide. Although I am not romantically inclined, I am happy. (and then he said so many other funny AND true things) I'd rather live this imperfect life than have an idealized one..."

No comments: